Friday, December 16, 2005

Were times simpler...or were we too naive?

I often find myself thinking "what did I do to keep busy before T.V.?"
As the eldest of 3 sisters, I was 14 when we received our first T.V. What a thrill ! Included in this wonderful cabinet was a radio and record player that played all my 45's and 78's. No more hoping for an invitation to my friends house to watch "Uncle Miltie". But what did I do before that Motorola entered our home? hmmmmmmm....
I never remember saying the dreaded 2 words I hear all the time from little ones...."I'm BORED"....horror of horrors ---- bored!!! Oh my God..that must mean you're a bad parent!!!
I remember riding my bike to my friends..."be back when the street lights come on" Wow!!! how did we get around on a no speed no hand brakes bike.. I could take that whole bike apart and put it back together by the time I grew out of riding it.
I found the whole Wizard of Oz series at my Grandmother's house and spent one summer vacation reading them all....sometimes sitting on the porch...sometimes sitting in a tree....but enjoying the whole series.
I remember sitting on that same porch in the glider and making a list of every word I could find in the letters of a long word that Mom gave us.
Best of all, I remember NO HOMEWORK through the first 5 or 6 grades....all books were left at school. I got all A's and B's. Hmmmmm...
Those of you that are younger and happen to read this are saying "yada-yada-yada"...I know, but this is MY blog and I can say what I wish.
Life certainly wasn't perfect.....but it certainly wasn't "BORING".



1 comment:

Folkpainter said...

Maybe thats why we never get bored in our senior years because we learned to to create and challange ourselves to do new and interesting things......Right sister?