Friday, February 01, 2008

UP IN SMOKE

On the evening of Jan. 20th, everything I owned was lost in a fire that took down all the units in both buildings of my condo complex, putting over 100 people out on the street. The fire started from a short in a bathroom ceiling fan in a unit in a seperate building from mine.
I was insured, and but for that would probably be totally at odds and not knowing my next step.  My insurance company stood by me...put me in the Marriott Residents Inn and cut a check so I could meet my immediate needs of food and clothing.
My Son and Daughter and Daughter in law were and have been of enourmous help to me and I've had my sisters for long distance support as well.
I've discovered that I'm a very fortunate person.  My former workplace collected quite a bit of money for me (I've been retired for 3 years now)...and I've received wonderful cards and packages from my post card groups.  A few nights ago my local art group held a "shower" where I received so much fabric and notions that it took me 3 trips with my car (which came to no harm in the fire)to get it all to my efficiency suite.  It's now filling a coat closet!...bags on bags of stash builders.  
I regret the loss of all my photos and some special gifts given to me by family and friends....but the rest, I've discovered is replaceable and rather fun to shop for.
I can't waste my time feeling all sorry for myself...it won't change the situation or bring things back.  As soon as I saw my condo unit on fire, with the windows blown out from the heat, I had to resign myself to the fact that things would be different for a while.
I've never been one for antiques or precious jewels and furs....
anyway, as you can see, I've already replaced my computer and am back up and running.
I'll move into an apartment while waiting to hear if the condos will be re-built and once settled, will be fine and dandy.
So...take a lesson from me. Be insured!..it's the only thing that's gotten me through the financial end of rebuilding a life.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

good advice for sure Phyllis! Glad to see you back to blogging :)

Digitalgran said...

Hi Phyllis. We missed you, even for a short while. Glad to see you so wonderfully cheerful after such a happening, you are an example to us all. Hugs and good vibes on their way to you from Wales.

Digitalgran said...

Hi Phyllis. We missed you, even for a short while. Glad to see you so wonderfully cheerful after such a happening, you are an example to us all. Hugs and good vibes on their way to you from Wales.

Deireth said...

Your positive outlook is to be commended! The past is hard to let go of, especially when it has been taken so unexpectedly. I wish you all the best as you gather together a new future! Strength and peace!

Arty Lady's blog said...

Hi Phyllis, I am so sorry what happened. You're friends will be a great deal of support for you.

Hugs
Liz

Penny said...

What a lovely positive outlook and with that I am sure you will be doing more and enjoying it as well.
Hugs from Australia

Michelle said...

Phyllis, I'm so very sorry that you've had to go through this. I'm thankful you are safe and glad you are back online! You were missed!!!

Joanna said...

Phyllis, I just heard about your condo burning down. So sorry! If there is anything you need, let me know.

Joanna

bookwraps by suz.com said...

Phyllis - oh my gosh ! how dreadful ! but thank goodness you are not injured ...

and such a positive attitude !!! you go girl !!!

take care & here's to new beginnings *************

Judy Rys said...

What an awful thing to have happen. I'm glad that you are fine and have so much support from friends and family. Let me know if I can help at all.

Unknown said...

Phyllis I really feel for you and wish you lots of luck with your future plans. People are kind aren't they, when you really need them they come up trumps for you. But you have to be a special person for them to do that for you.

Anonymous said...

So glad you are fine and that the insurance came through for you. It sounds like you have a great support group.