Saturday, May 13, 2006

STORY TELLING WITH FABRIC


I had the pleasure of attending a weekend seminar at The Hermitage in Three Rivers, Michigan...about 76 miles south of Grand Rapids.
There I learned to kick start my creativity in fabric art with the assistance of 2 wonderful facilitators and 8 other Quilters.
Fabric art is not like quilting as you might think of it.
I could never call myself a traditional quilter....I guess because I'm not good at following hard and fast rules and patterns, and I'm a bit sloppy when it comes to finishing the work. I admire all the beautiful quilts I've seen and the people that create them. Anyway, I'm not even close to "showing off" any work I've done...in fact I'm just scratching the surface of all that fabric art has to offer.
I'm reading books and taking classes and trying to figure out where this new art form is going to take me. It's like starting with a fresh clean page and whatever I want to put on it will be all mine.

2 comments:

Linda Kahlbaugh said...

Hey Phyllis, I was with you at Three Rivers and I think you made an absolutely stunning quilt. I'm waiting for you to post it, you know, the one with the buildings. Please do share it with us all!

Linda kahlbaugh

FiberPhyl aka Artsygrammy said...

Hi Linda,
I took your advise. Thanks for the moral support.
Phyllis