Thursday, April 19, 2007

My CREATIVITY MANDALA


I have recently joined an on line group who has chosen "the Artists Muse" book by Betsy Dillard Stroud, to discuss and work on assignments together. The first challenge is for us to create our own mandala. Well, I'm gonna tell you, I had no idea what a mandala was.....so I googled it and got some sort of an idea as to what it was all about.
We could make our mandala using any medium we chose and I chose fabric. Now---the subject---another tricky one.
After the recent horrific events at VTech. I thought of gun control....man's inhumanity to man....peace....ethnic cleansing. JUST TOO MUCH TO CONTEMPLATE .
Luckily I found some fabric in my stash that represented what I wanted to portray, which was to describe my own CREATIVITY.
The back ground piece represents the swirl of imagination and ideas that constantly run through my mind. Wanting to try new things....learn new things....be artistic and develop my skills. Where do I start? What do I choose to do next?
The larger circle is a kaleidoscope, where individual ideas are beginning to form as I slowly turn them in my mind till they begin to confirm their own identity.
The center circle is where these ideas finally end in a cohesive design that's ready to express itself through the artist.
This proved to be an interesting challenge and I look forward to seeing all the other mandalas that the group members come up with.
I'll finish quilting this piece and hang it in my studio as a reminder that eventually all of the ideas that want to be born will eventualy happen if I let them grow.

5 comments:

Judy Rys said...

I love your idea of the swirling of ideas slowly forming in a finished idea. Very clever. Great background fabric.

Anonymous said...

It's a beautiful piece of work Phyllis.

Annica said...

Your mandala is beautiful! I love your blog! You have made so many wonderful things!

Val said...

I love your Mandala, it gives off warm and comforting vibes Phyllis, it is beautiful.

SeamRippstress said...

Beautiful creativity mandala! It rings true to me. Mine is coming out swirly too. Enjoying your creations here!